Wednesday 15 April 2015

Sloe Start to the Year

So here I am again, resurrecting my blog. I have realised that being unable (or unmotivated) to cook has been a barrier to me writing this blog, so I've decided to post everything that I forage, regardless of whether I cook with it. Here goes...

Spring is a wonderful time, we get to see life reappearing after winter, and my foraging heart absolutely loves surveying my surroundings for potential foraging spots.

It may seem odd to be out looking for Sloes (Blackthorn) in spring, as the fruit will not appear until Autumn, but April is the best time for locating Blackthorn bushes - even from a distance. At this time of year, Blackthorn blossom is showing, and it is unmistakable (well, I guess more so for the trained eye). Look out of the window if you are travelling and you will likely spot the white blossom in stark contrast to the seemingly black branches of the Blackthorn. Spotting a large patch at this time of year and returning to that spot in the Autumn is surely the easiest way to secure your supplies for Sloe Gin over the winter.


Blackthorn blossom (as with most prunus/plum species) has an almondy aroma and I have decided to trial some recipes to try to make the most of their flavour.


Trial 1: Almond Tisane Flavour

Dried Blackthorn blossom for use in Herbal Tisane (herbal tea requires the presence of tea, so flavoured waters are referred to as tisanes)

I use a dehydrator for drying fruits, nuts and flowers, but you can also use your oven at its lowest setting. This recipe has no strict quantities, I am just drying a couple of handfuls of blossoms for later use.

Trial 2: Blackthorn Blossom Liqueur




I always have a selection of homemade liqueurs around the house. They make wonderful presents, and are also a great added ingredient for puddings. I have tried making Blackthorn Blossom liqueurs in the past, but have never been inspired by the outcomes. I decided to try something a little different this time.

The inspiration for this recipe came from considering complimentary flavours for Almond. I decided to try to make a post-curry Digestif, using coconut rum as a base. When making liqueurs, it is recommended that you a base spirit with an ABV of 40% or higher and, although I have had success with fruit liqueurs from vodka with an ABV of 37.5%, I cannot guarantee that using a low ABV spirit (coconut rum is only 20%) will yield successful results. This is what my mum would call a "makey-uppy" and what I am calling "experimental".

Ingredients:

1 small food bag full of Blackthorn Blossom
70cl bottle of Malibu (coconut rum)

Method:

1. Remove leaves, stalk and branches from blossom
2. Place blossom in a 1-litre kilner jar
3. Pour rum over blossom
4. Stir
5. Screw lid onto jar

I will leave this to infuse for a few weeks, shaking the jar every day. I will post the results in due course.

This/next month will see the appearance of the St George's Mushroom and I hope to be able to find a few and post about them here, soon. Until then, happy Sloe-spotting! x

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see you resurrect your blog Virn! As a relative beginner, I'm looking forward to learning lots and getting out there with more confidence. There is something magical in creating wonderful concoctions from free food! Keep writing please! Vohn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vohn! I think we should meet up to share our experiences and knowledge. There is always more to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to ask questions about foraging or about any of the recipes. I enjoy a challenge so I'm also happy to try out new recipes by recommendation. Thanks xx